Skip to main content

Ghosted by Substance



BACKDROP:

Recently, I upgraded my substance designer license on one of my older computers. Everything seemed to go smoothly, until I realized that nearly all of my old graphs were loading in with "Ghost Nodes" . " Ghost nodes are placeholders for whatever node that substance can't find. They don't seem like that big of a deal but when you have a ghost node in your graph, it can seriously screw up your output results.

For the most part, replacing Ghost nodes in Substance is a breeze, you open up your graph  and get a prompt from Substance telling you that it could not find "the" node and asking you if you'd like to pull it from a new location. When you have a realtively small graph and only a few Ghost nodes, this method works well enough. For larger graphs however, this task can become quite repetitive, because you have to load in the reference graph for every individual ghosted node, even if you fixed the reference to the same exact node earlier. ( I.e- Substance will detect a ghost node "ramp" and ask you to designate a new location. It moves onto the next ghost node which is also "ramp" and you have to find and save the same reference location for the second node which for all intents and purposes, is exactly the same node.  )

My ghost node problem was rampant. I upgraded my license from Substance 5 to substance 2017. From what I can tell, my original substance 5 install had a folder called Substance Designer 5 where-in it put all the references. But the new Substance Designer  2017 looks for references in the Substance Designer Folder. I had a massive referencing issue on my hands. All of the nodes were located somewhere else, and I wasn't going to go through all of my graphs made with Substance 5 ( a significant sum) and manually reload every node for each one. By the time I'd get it manually done, I'd probably be some fossil set on display at a museum.

Instead, I found out that I could open my substance files inside of a text editor and easily search and replace the paths for all the nodes that were "ghosted" .

THE FIX: 

  • Open your graph in the text editor. 
  • Search and replace the bad path for with the good path.
  • Save your document ( as a copy, just in case.) 
  • Reopen the graph in substance and all of your reference nodes should no longer be ghosts!

STEP- BY-STEP: 

1.) Find the location of all of your resource graphs and copy this path to your clipboard. ( If you are using 2017 , the path is most likely located here: \Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\resources\packages.



2.) Open your substance graph inside a text editor ( Right Click on the file > Edit With > "Your Text editor )



3.) In your text editor, highlight the old path that is giving you ghosting issues, and use search and replace to find all the bad paths.If you are using Notepad ++ , open the finder with CNTRL +F.




4.)In the "replace with:" entry, paste the path to all of your resource paths that was copied in Step 1. After that, Hit Replace All.

5.) Save your graph. ( Save it as a copy, in case the path was copied poorly, and to insure you don't loose your work. )

6.) Open your working graph in substance and continue creating!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring Scales With Substance Designer

Preface Some of my first blog posts focused around how to create a "scale " material from texture to render in Maya with V-ray. The Series " Making A Seamless Scale Material " took a more "traditional" approach to creating a tile-able scale pattern. I think this method still has its strengths as it also covers valuable tips and tricks that can be used in Illustrator and Zbrush, but I wanted to share another method for creating scales by using a program dedicated to creating scale-able, flexible, and tillable procedural textures in a node based- lossless editing environment. I have been using Substance Designer almost exclusively for texture generation for the last year now and the amount of flexibility and possibilities that can be created are virtually endless. In truth, Substance Designer is no walk in the park for traditional texture artists. Its node based editing system and use of procedurals require you to think in a different way- but in the

Making a Seamless Scale Material Part I

Today, I wanted to share my process for creating a seamless, scale-able material that can either be projected onto Zbrush models or applied as materials to UV'd models inside of programs like Maya and 3Ds Max. I used this when creating my unique stylized scale surfaces. You can find breakdowns for them here : Stylized Scale Materials This is a tutorial that will be split into four parts. Below is an outline on what we will cover.  This post will be addressing part 1.            Part 1:  Approaching Scales and Creating a Pattern.           Part 2:  Refining your pattern in Zbrush.           Part 3: Creating a compelling and believable scale Material inside of Maya I will be using the following programs to create my Scale material : Adobe Photoshop (optional) , Adobe Illustrator (optional), Zbrush , Vray and Maya.  Part 1: Approaching and Creating A Pattern    Creating a seamless texture can be done in many ways. This tutorial goes over just one way to cr

Creating Spiny Fins With Curves and Surfaces ( Maya)

This "little" tutorial will go through the process of creating fins and fin shapes using curves and surfaces in Maya. I found this method to be the most "accurate"while building out the spiny shapes of fins in my current project, and thought I'd share my process. The tutorial below is broken down into three parts and will cover the basics of working with Curves in Maya. A. Building the Main Shape B. Creating the Spines C. Lofting Fin Shapes I will be diving into detail about certain tools in Maya. In this tutorial, I will go over using Live surfaces, converting edges to curves, lofting surfaces, converting nurbs to polygons, extrusions and moving constraints like snap to curve and snap to vertex. A. Building The Main Shape. Create a base curve . The base curve should match the center line of your mesh. This will define where the fin shape will start. If you have a mesh that is already topologized with a clean center line, extracting a curve f